Friday, June 7, 2013

Mom's Days Off

Mom's Days Off
 
I am writing this while drinking my morning cup of coffee and eating a bowl of oatmeal, and it's quiet in the house.  No TV, no alarm clocks, no husband, and no Elliott.  I took two days off to spend a 4-day weekend with my girlfriends in North Carolina and a few events came up so we had to cancel the trip, but I decided to keep my days off.  I had a corporate challenge track meet Wednesday night and got home two hours past my bedtime.  I promised myself I would take Elliott to Monique's in the morning so I could rest and have some free time. 
 
Elliott woke up promptly at 6:07am so it wasn't hard for me to keep my promise.  I pulled him into bed with me, but he quickly crawled off and walked out of the room as if he was saying "Come on Mom, we have a lot of things to do today."  I rolled over and pulled the pillow over my eyes.  A couple seconds later I hear Elliott standing next to me laughing.  I peak out from under the pillow and he's holding up an empty sippy cup, grinning from ear to ear (he LOVES his milk).  At that moment, I so badly wanted to spend the day with my son.  However, I resisted the urge and decided to take him to Monique's. 
 
The time off has been glorious.  I went to a coffee shop in the morning and read my book.  I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure with a gift certificate my mother gave me while I was in the hospital with Elliott.  Yes, it took me a whole year to take time for myself and get a manicure!  I walked around Costco at 2:00 in the afternoon and I could actually shop without the rush of anxiety and claustrophobia setting in. 
 
I have an amazing husband who shares responsibilities with me, but I still need time away every once and a while.  I am convinced it will make me a better mom!  
 
 

1 comment: