Tuesday, November 25, 2014

I Love You, Mommy

I Love You, Mommy

I had just laid Claire down for the night and started doing all the things we Mommy's do once our kids are in bed. Wash bottles. Do laundry. Pick up toys from the day. Then Elliott asked in his sweet little innocent voice "Can we please watch cuggin-ging (Chuggington), Mommy?" I must have given him the look because he said again, "please, Mommy? Please please?" He even still does the baby sign language for please when he says the word. So I caved...again. How do you turn that sweet face down? We snuggled in together on the couch, covered up with his tractor blanket, and turned on Chuggington. Elliott gave a big sigh, laid his head back on my shoulder, looked up at me and said "I love you, Mommy."  

I melted! I was awestruck! My son just told me he loved me without my prompting. Elliott can certainly have his ornery moments, throw his fair share of tantrums, and he seems to know just how far he can push our limits. I find myself yelling, begging, pleading, trying to get him to behave. 
To pick up his toys. To eat his food. To be nice to his sister. To stop asking to watch TV. To stop asking me to play with him. To stop doing whatever he is doing. So when my son told me he loved me I actually felt a little guilt. How can he love me after my constant nagging throughout the day? 

It's because I kiss his boo-boo's when he falls on his bike. I read him books before he goes to bed. I fix his lego truck when it falls apart for the umpteenth time. And most importantly, 
I tell him I love him. 
All the time. 


Now back to realty. The kid is smart enough to know that when he behaves we tend to push back bedtime. Saying "I love you" just bought him 5 extra minutes of TV time.  :) 




1 comment:

  1. Oh...that has to make your momma heart so happy! (and you look beautiful, btw, hair glasses all of it!)

    ReplyDelete